Friday, 15 February 2013

Ruby's Play Kitchen

My husband made this for Ruby's second birthday (to my specifications) - he spent many long hours building it and I was really pleased with how it turned out, although the photos don't really do it justice.

The taps are door stoppers cut down, the faucet my husband made from a piece of copper pipe which he then spray-painted silver.  What I learnt with this project is that you should photograph it before the kids play with it!  The spray-paint got scratched off the faucet pretty quickly.  The splashback, which is my only contribution to the actual construction of the kitchen, is Mexican oilcloth with a piece of perspex over it to hold it on.  I love how the oilcloth looks but the perspex makes it tricky to photograph.  I got the oilcloth the other year from Oilcloth Addict.

Both the fridge and the stove have lights in them, but it's a bit hard to photograph it so you can see the lights:

I'm not very good at keeping receipts or keeping tabs on how much things cost, but it probably cost us about $100, the paint was the most expensive bit, even though we only had to buy the silver paint for the stove, I bought a test pot (Resene Silver Aluminium) thinking it would be enough, but it wasn't.  So we bought another test pot.  Then another one.  Then another one ... We already had the white paint left over from painting our walls (Resene Alabaster), and the blackboard paint from years ago when I used to do mosaics (I made a mosaic-framed blackboard).

Linking up here:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...