Wednesday 19 February 2014

Fixing FMQ bloopers

I recently free motion quilted an entire bed-size quilt, this was quite a leap as previously I had only free motion quilted either practice pads or these bowls.  I quilted it in a mostly all-over meandering and ended up with a few "whoops" that I needed to fix.  On other things I've quilted I have thought to myself "I'll fix that at the end" and then haven't been able to find the bits that needed fixing, so this time I thought I'd mark the bits that need fixing by putting a bit of washi tape through some basting pins, so once I move a little away from the blooper, I put in a washi-ed basting pin and then carry on my merry way.


Once I'd meandered my way over the whole quilt, I went back and fixed things one by one.  Here's an example of how I fixed some of them.

1. Find the problem

2. Redo the quilting, making sure you stitch over existing quilting to lock the stitches

3. Unpick the original stitching

The repair doesn't look perfect (I'm still an FMQ beginner!) but it's only noticeable in the photos, when viewing the quilt in its entirety it would probably take me quite a while to find the repair.

What do you do with quilting that needs to be redone?  Do you fix it at the time or do you fix it later?  How do you mark the bits that need fixing?

Linking up to:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
I Quilt at Pretty Bobbins

13 comments:

  1. wow - you are progressing fast with your FMQ. I am off to order the book now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello everyone, my name is Elisa Keily I am so overwhelmed with joy all thanks to Dr Raypower spell. my husband left me for another woman few years back and I was very devastated cause I never did anything wrong to him, I was left with my two kid and a job that pays little.i was almost giving up until I saw a testimony online about Dr Raypower and I decided to contact him.i explained my problem to him and he assured me I'll see a positive result after 24hurs, surprisingly my husband came back the day after the spell begging me to forgive him and promised to never leave. My husband has been back for 6 months now and we've never had any issues, am glad I didn't doubt Dr Raypower cause he sure can solve any problems with fast relief you can also contact him for help now

      Email: Urgentspellcast@gmail.com or Urgentspellcast@yahoo.com

      Website: https://urgentspellcast.wordpress.com 

      WhatsApp: +14243308109

      Delete
  2. I'm just starting with FMQ ... just got the foot on the day and started having a play - oooh it's fun isn't it!? Thanks for the tip on how to do a fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a beginner too. It has to be a toe catcher or I would probably ignore it. If it needs attention I sew over it while I am there and move on. I don't go back and rip it out. Once it is washed, I don't think it will show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh great tip! Thanks! I love it... now why didn't I think of that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could certainly use this tip, I have too many bloopers to mention when FMQ'ing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great to me and when washed and it's all crinkly you'd never find it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! Seems to me you are advancing well if you have figured out how to make such detailed corrections! Isn't FMQ'ing so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done...it must feel great to have finished your first bed sized quilt...keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good tip! I'm probably going to be using it a lot on my first FMQ project coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good question! I just pretend there are no mistakes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a smart idea to mark your mistake, but if you couldn't find it later, then maybe it didn't need fixing! =) however, you feel a lot better now, don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea! I really just need to slow down and not make so many mistakes! Then I'd be more inclined to go back and fix them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...