I made Ruby a dress, which I am rather pleased with because I've never made a dress before and didn't have a pattern. Inspired by a few blogs I've seen lately about making clothes for kids by tracing the shape of something that fits them (such as the sew-alongs on Craftiness is not Optional), I decided to give it a go.
Before I get into the details of how I did it, here is the finished article (modelled by Ruby, of course). It is a lightweight denim on the outside, with a black and white spotty stripe cotton lining, fastened on the shoulder with dome fasteners.
I took a dress that is similar to what I wanted to get the shape, added some extra for seam allowance, and a bit more so she'll fit it for longer. I cut out two versions, the front neckline dips lower than the back, and the shoulder strap is longer on the back so that it overlaps the front.
I had high hopes of making it reversible but as I was making it up as I went I got to a point where I realised it wouldn't be reversible unless I did a bit of unpicking and I couldn't be bothered.
Couldn't resist adding a few lazy daisies ...
If anyone wants a step by step tutorial of this let me know and I'll post one, along with the pattern I made.